The research team at CLIx is committed to conducting high quality studies in the area of impact evaluation, design-based research and specific thematic case studies. It consists of a multidisciplinary team of researchers with a rich experience of studying education in developing and developed countries, as well as of playing a key role in various policy-level processes. The team members, primarily located in TISS and MIT, work closely with the various field teams and domain teams to facilitate the execution of specific studies, organisation of research seminars and publication of research work.
My research interests lie in studying the implementation of policies and programmes, how innovative initiatives work at the field level and how implementation research influences policy making. I have conducted a number of evaluation studies of various governmental and non-governmental projects, handled case studies and done policy research. My expertise is in the area of education law and policy, and I have served on several Govt. committees.
- Ph.D (1998), National Law School of India University. Social Sciences – Child Labour and Child Rights.
- MA (1992), Tata Institute of Social Sciences. Social Work – Family and Child Welfare.
Meera Gopi Chandran
Team Lead , Assistant Professor, Centre for Education, Innovation & Action Research, TISS
I have about 15 years of experience in the domains of Development and Education, the last 10 years being in the area of Teacher Professional Development and Education Research. In CLIx, I currently work as the Research team lead.
- Ph.D (2018), Tata Institute of Social Sciences. Education.
- M.A (1997), University of Madras. Sociology.
- M.Sc (1994), University of Madras. Life Sciences.”
My experience primarily involves working in IT and research domains. Within research, it spans both commercial and development sectors. During my previous stint at SRI-IMRB (now Kantar Public) I had led multiple exploratory, evaluative and explanatory research studies for various clients in development sector. My research interest lies in exploring methods of teaching and education to bring about a transformative change among school students.
- Masters in Communication Management (2010), Mudra Institute of Communications Ahmedabad, Marketing research.
- B.Tech (2005), Acharya Nagarjuna University, Electronics and Communication Engineering.
I am interested in Developmental Economics and Economics of Education.
- MA (2009), Hyderabad Central University. Economics.
- M.Phil (2011), IIT (Bombay). Planning and Development.
My experience so far has been in education sector. I have worked as part time lecturer in mathematics and statistics. As a Content Analyst (statistics), I was part of teams that designed and built instruction, interactivities and assessments that facilitate effective online learning in academic environments.This is my first research experience.
- M.Sc (2013), Pondicherry Central University. Statistics.
My research specialisation and interest areas are in Rural Structural Transformation-Diversification, Agriculture Economics, Economics of Education and Econometrics. I have designed the ‘introduction to Economics and Entrepreneurship’ syllabus for engineering students at Mahindra Ecole Centrale, Hyderabad, and taught it for one semester. I have also taught Statistics and Micro and Macroeconomics to the Senior Secondary students for one semester. I was an intern for two months (as Research assistant) at the Indian Institute of Foreign Trade (IIFT), New Delhi and two months at Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi. My role with CLIx is to work closely with the research team.
- Ph.D. (current), School of Economics, University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad.
- UGC/NET-JRF qualified in Economics (2011).
- M.A. (2011), School of Economics, University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad.Economics.
- B.A. (2008), S.D, Jain Girls’ College, Nagaland University, Nagaland. Economics.
My research has focused on examining student beliefs, learning strategies, calibration of self-efficacy, and on pedagogy related to active learning. I am interested in how teacher beliefs influence pedagogical choices. I have expertise in developing instruments to measure psychological constructs, and statistical analysis of the resultant data. I was Assistant Research Professor, Arizona State University, and Associate Director of Educational Research, MIT. My role within CLIx is to help explore project impact from multiple perspectives.
- Ph.D (2010), Mary Lou Fulton Institute and Graduate School of Education, Arizona State University. Educational Psychology – Learning.
- Certificate (2010), Mary Lou Fulton Institute and Graduate School of Education, Arizona State University. Educational Technology.
- MSN (1984), College of Nursing, Wayne State University. Health Care of Women.
- BSN. (1977), College of Nursing, University of Pittsburgh. Nursing.
My research interests are in the areas of implementation of education policies, specifically in the tribal areas where the notion of education is very different from that in urban areas. I have worked in the organisation Christel House India, engaging with different education and health functionaries at the district level for more than one year. At CLIx, I am currently working with the research team.
M.A. (2016) Azim Premji University. Development
B.Tech. (2014) College of Technology, Govind Ballaph University of Agriculture and Technology, Pantnagar. Agricultural Engineering
Ananya Chatterji Swamy
Junior Research Associate, Centre for Education, Innovation & Action Research, TISS
I worked with a Tata Trust project for developing teacher education strategy, during which I co-ordinated discussions with stakeholders in the field and reviewed reports on the status of teacher education in India. I was part of the data collection process for the UNESCO-SABER Country Report on Teachers, which I helped draft. My research interests include understanding the uses of language education, and how teacher education translates into practice in the classroom.
- MA (2015), Tata Institute of Social Sciences. Education.
- BE (2012), Nagpur University. Computer Technology.
I am collaborating with TISS in studying the adoption of CLIx at scale and through design-based research, as well as the intervention’s impact on classroom learning and teaching practices. Previously, my academic work focused on teacher development and the acquisition of new instructional skills, particularly in advancing student learning in classroom discussions. For many years, I was a public school science teacher in California and in Massachusetts.
- Ed.D (2015), Human Development and Education.
- Ed.M (2001), Technology in Education, Harvard University. Teacher learning, expertise development, and simulation-based learning.
Research Associate (Junior) , Centre for Education, Innovation and Action Research, TISS
My research interests are in the areas of disability, children and education and understanding the gaps in teaching pedagogy in rural areas. Iworked as a school speech therapist in Nidhi Early Interventions(Bangalore) with children with autism spectrum disorders and developmental disabilities for two years. At CLIx, I am engaged with the Research Team.
- Masters (2014), M.A in Social Work(Disability Studies and Action), School of social work, Tata Institute of Social Sciences (Mumbai).
- Bachelors (2011), Bachelors in Audiology and Speech, Language Pathology (B.A.S.L.P), Manipal University, Manipal.
I have over 20 years’ experience in the field of Education and Technology, working with under-served populations in developing countries. My areas of interest include constructionist and online learning, curriculum design, teacher professional development and assessment. My role within CLIx is to help design mechanisms to help us understand the impact of CLIx on students’ learning.
- Ph.D. (2017), Media Lab, MIT. Media, Arts and Sciences.
- M.Ed. (2015), School of Education, Boston University. Educational Media and Technology
- B.S. (1993), School of Engineering, EAFIT University. Computer Science.
Team Lead, Associate Professor, Centre for Education, Innovation & Action Research, TISS
I worked on developing the Integrated approach for Technology in Education at the Tata Trust, and conceptualizing of the CLIx initiative. My research interests are in the areas of teacher professional development for technology integration (TPACK), and student use of technology within a constructionist approach. I will also engage with CLIx Research, and contribute to developing technology integration constructs, measurement and analyses.
- Ph.D (2010), Iowa State University. Curriculum and Instructional Technology, Education.
- M.Sc (2002), Iowa State University. Child Development.
- M.Sc (1998), Nirmala Niketan, Mumbai University. Human Development and Family Studies.
- Website: Link