“To create learning communities where all students and teachers engage with mathematics and move collaboratively towards an understanding of mathematics as a discipline.” – Vision for CLIx Math
While there has been a steady rise in the enrolment in secondary schools in recent years, many of the issues and concerns related to the quality of mathematics learning have remained persistent. There is often a paucity of teachers and resources and a gap between intended and implemented curriculum. Pedagogical practices mostly focus on practising textbook-exercises and memorisation instead of deepening mathematical thinking and problem solving. For learners, the consequent implication is a considerable gap in their conceptual understanding and limited opportunities for making meaningful connections with their life-world. There is limited scope for appreciating the nature and beauty of mathematics as a subject. CLIx Math modules aim at changing the approach towards mathematics learning and teaching at high school level. The first CLIx Math module on ‘Geometric Reasoning’ stresses on activities around analysis of geometric shapes and their properties, informal deduction, gradually building facility with reasoning, leading to an understanding of the need for formal deductive proofs. The second CLIx Math module on ‘Proportional Reasoning’ aims to enable students to identify and understand multiplicative relationships in contexts involving comparisons, sharing and scaling, leading to conceptual applications both within and across subject domains.
Team Lead & Associate Professor, Centre for Education, Innovation & Action Research, TISS
I taught Mathematics at the undergraduate level in Patna University between 2002 and 2007, during which period I was a member of the Mathematics focus group of the Bihar Curriculum Framework 2006 for school education. I was also part of the Core Committee formed by the Governor of Bihar in 2006 for recommending and rejuvenating higher education in Bihar. My key interests are the sociology of (mathematics) education, language diversity and math learning, and ethnomathematics.
- Post Doc (2016), University of South Africa (UNISA), South Africa
- PhD (2015), Mathematics Education, HBCSE, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR) Deemed University
- MSc (2002), Mathematics, University of Pune
- BSc (1999), Mathematics (Honours), Patna University
Co -Lead & Assistant Professor, Centre for Education, Innovation & Action Research, TISS
My research interests lie in analyzing the interaction between teachers’ beliefs, knowledge and practices, and in the role of communities in teachers’ learning. I have taught and designed courses for teachers and have six years of teaching experience at the school level. At CLIx, I am engaged in brainstorming for the student modules and in anchoring the Teacher Professional Development module for Mathematics.
- Ph.D (pursuing), Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research. In-service professional development of mathematics teachers.
- M.Ed (2006), Central Institute of Education, Delhi University. Science Education and Educational Technology.
- Diploma (2002), CMC Limited. Software Technology.
- M.Sc (2000), Dept. of Botany, Delhi University. Crop Genetics and Economic Botany.
- B.Ed (1998), Central Institute of Education, Delhi University. Biology and Chemistry Teaching.
- B.Sc (1997), Miranda House, Delhi University. Botany.
- Website: Link
At CLIx, I am involved with the development of secondary level Mathematics content for the ICT based student learning modules and also the Teacher Professional Development course on Reflective Mathematics teaching. My experience includes teaching primary school students in an under-resourced school and work on Mathematics pedagogy as a teacher educator. My current interest is in researching the impact of an ICT enabled curriculum for the learning and teaching of Mathematics.
- M.A. Elementary Education (pursuing), Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai
- M.Sc. Tech. Information Systems (2011), Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani
Ex-Team Lead (till Dec 2016) & Adjunct Associate Professor, Centre for Education, Innovation & Action Research, TISS
The thrust of my work (spanning nearly three decades) has been to ensure quality education for all children. With Maths education as a pivotal element, I have tackled several roles – practitioner, assessment designer, teacher educator and the creator of Mindspark, India’s first Digital Adaptive Learning programme. At CLIx, my role as the Maths Team lead is to visualise and create learning modules, conduct studies on Maths learning, and inform Maths TPD.
- B.Ed (1987), Central Institute of Education (CIE), Delhi University.
- B.Sc (1986), St. Stephen’s College, Delhi University. Mathematics (Hons).shar
I am trying to understand the scenario of education system in rural India and learning research methodologies working with the maths team. I have also developed few interactives in the maths module. I like to learn and explore various new technologies especially used in education.
M.Sc (2017), Department of Computer Science, University of Mumbai
B.E (2014), Department of Instrumentation Engineering, Watumull Institute of Electrical Engineering and Computer Technology, Mumbai
I have worked in the area of mathematics education, engaging both with students and teachers. My primary responsibilities in CLIx are developing content for Mathematics modules, participating in field trials and conducting literature review. Teacher Professional Development in mathematics is also one of my areas of interest.
- M.A. Elementary Education (2017), Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai.
- M.Sc. Physics (2008), University of Mumbai.
My ongoing Ph.D research explores students’ conceptions of area measurement. As a part of the Maths team in CLIx, I have been analysing worksheets and interview data and conducting field trials of the lessons developed by the team.
- Ph.D (pursuing), Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research. Mathematics Education and Cognition.
- M. Sc (2009), Bengal Engineering and Science University, Shibpur. Applied Mathematics.
- B. Sc (2007), University of North Bengal. Mathematics.
I am a researcher in science and mathematics education. My special interest areas include graphicacy and the use of graphs, as well as the history and philosophy of science. My work includes developing educational activities involving graphs and the handling of real-world data. I enjoy exploring the use of technology to design and change learning experiences in science and mathematics. In CLIx I am also a part of the Mathematics team.
Team Lead & Adjunct Associate Professor, Centre for Education,
- Ph.D (current), Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research.
Designing learning contexts for graphicacy in science education.
- M.Sc (2005), Department of Physics, University of Pune. Physics
- B.Sc (2001), Fergusson College, Pune. Physics
I have over 18 years’ experience working in the development, academic and corporate sectors, including research and programme implementation in mathematics, technology, and teacher education, as well as software development. My role in CLIx includes strategic coordination of the overall curriculum development effort. I am also an active contributor to curriculum development and research in the areas of Mathematics and i2C.
- M.Phil. (2015), Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Hyderabad. Education.
- MA (2011), Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai. Education (Elementary).
- MCA (Master of Computer Applications, 1996), Bangalore University.