The new media of connected digital devices allows us to go beyond the classic blackboard sharing paradigm and enables making and communication in a digital collaborative environment. Keeping this design in mind, Invitation to CLIx (i2C) provides learners with operational skills of the new media. i2C is the first CLIx offering, where we invite learners to an exemplary connected learning experience on a specially designed course Platform. The Platform is the social space where collaborative interactions happen. i2C prepares learners for conceptual and investigative engagements in Science, Mathematics and English Communication.
I design collaborative learning environments (as against classrooms) for the construction of scientific knowledge, and am an advocate of the freedom to read, write and act, particularly in the digital space, creative commons, and distributed justice. I work at the interface of ontology, epistemology, science education, and politics associated with new media, and am collaborating with NCERT in building the National Repository for Open Educational Resources. I have taught at HBCSE since 1995.
- Ph.D (1995), Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur. Philosophy of Science.
- MA (1988), Department of Philosophy, University of Delhi.
- M.Sc (1984), Department of Zoology, University of Delhi.
I am a researcher in science and mathematics education. My special interest areas include graphicacy and the use of graphs, as well as the history and philosophy of science. My work includes developing educational activities involving graphs and the handling of real-world data. I enjoy exploring the use of technology to design and change learning experiences in science and mathematics. In CLIx I am also a part of the Mathematics team.
Team Lead & Adjunct Associate Professor, Centre for Education,
- Ph.D (current), Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research.
Designing learning contexts for graphicacy in science education.
- M.Sc (2005), Department of Physics, University of Pune. Physics
- B.Sc (2001), Fergusson College, Pune. Physics
Educational Technology Designer, Education Arcade, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
I manage the design, content, development, and research of educational games and programs in the MIT Education Arcade. I am contributing to the CLIx English and i2C courses by helping integrate innovative pedagogies into the curriculum, designing relevant technology tools, and advising on the design and production processes.
- Ed.M (2007), Harvard Graduate School of Education Technology, Innovation and Education.
- BA (2003), Brown University, Computer Science.
I contribute to and coordinate curriculum development and on- field training activities for FTs, teachers and students. I help develop and test the i2C course platform and school server and deploying these in school labs by coordinating with and supporting field technologists. As a part of Gnowledge Lab, HBCSE, I am exploring the value of open source technology for education and its use in achieving learning competencies. I also develop learning studio images, which are customised Linux OS images containing educational applications. I strongly believe that the education process should evolve with time and that technology will play a great role in it.
Past experience: Software developer, 2.5 years, PI Techniques.
- MCA (Master of Computer Application) (2012), Somaiya Institute of Management Studies & Research, University of Mumbai, Mumbai.
- BCS (BSc Computer Science) (2009). Pune University, Pune.
Project Scientific Officer (B) Gnowledge Lab, Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education, TIFR
At Glab since 2015, I have been working on software applications, the server system and CUBE lab activities. Within CLIx my focus is on the School Server deployment and the i2C course curriculum development, as well as work on the UI/UX of the platform and testing its functionality; I also support the team in field testing and training programs. Before joining HBCSE, I was with SAMEER (IIT Mumbai) as a Research Scientist, working on software for projects.
- BE (2013), Sinhgad Institute of Technology, University Of Pune. Information Technology
- Diploma (2008), SS Jondhale Polytechnic, Ambernath, Maharashtra State Board of Technical Education. Computer Technology.
I have over 18 years’ experience working in the development, academic and corporate sectors, including research and programme implementation in mathematics, technology, and teacher education, as well as software development. My role in CLIx includes strategic coordination of the overall curriculum development effort. I am also an active contributor to curriculum development and research in the areas of Mathematics and i2C.
- M.Phil. (2015), Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Hyderabad. Education.
- MA (2011), Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai. Education (Elementary).
- MCA (Master of Computer Applications, 1996), Bangalore University.
Kedar H. Aitawdekar
Lead Software Developer, Centre for Education, Innovation & Action Research, TISS
I’m a full-stack open source developer with a computer programming background. I am enthusiastic about learning and using new technologies. I have coded for the educational (platform) projects NUSSD, NROER and i2c. At CLIx, I am part of the development team.
- MCA (Master of Computer Application 2013), Maharastra Education Trust, Mumbai, University of Mumbai.
- BCA (2010), IGNOU, Computer Applications.
Keerthi K. R. D.
Assistant Project Manager, Centre for Education, Innovation & Action Research, TISS
I started my career as Quality Analyst at Accenture after completing my degree in engineering. My curiosity about the economics of industries made me pursue a MBA. Before joining CLIx, I worked with CIET(NCERT). I was involved in managing tasks, gathering inputs and documenting the progress of the software that was being developed for CIET and for i2c. I have volunteered as a teacher in after-school programmes for students in Dharavi and Govandi. I love crunching data and reading books and articles related to sociology and economics. I spend my leisure hours making items out of unused things. In CLIx, I manage a team of interns who are authoring CLIx modules on the learning platform, and conduct testing for the technology team.
- MBA (2014), VIT Business School, VIT University.
- B. Tech (2011), G Narayanamma Institute of Technology and Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Hyderabad. Electrical Engineering.
I am working as a system administrator at CLIx (TISS). Handling linux servers and exploring new tools and software is a good experience as is working with virtual machines, docker, jenkins and ansible and developing bash scripts to automate repetitive tasks. I am looking forward to working on a large-scale project.I have worked in gnowledge-lab under Prof Nagarjuna G, Homi Bhabha Centre Science Education. I have learned more about free and open source projects through this work. I hope to continue to explore new technologies and contribute and support to various projects of gnowledge-lab and CIET-NCERT, New Delhi(NROER project).
- B.Sc (2009), Elphinstone College, University of Mumbai. Information Technology.
Rachana Balkrishna Katkam
Senior Software Engineer, Centre for Education, Innovation & Action Research, TISS
- M.C.A (2014), University of Mumbai.
- B.Sc IT (2010), University of Mumbai
I have been designing and working on the front end of CLIx. As a developer, I enjoy managing the backend, too. My expertise and knowledge are in CSS, SAAS and Python. I balance my work with trekking, travelling, exploring and enriching my own experiences. ‘Part time coder and full time explorer ‘ describes me well.
• MCA(2014), MET’s Institute of Computer Science, Mumbai University.
• BCA(2011), NSB College, SRTM University, Nanded.